This was originally a majestic Victorian home built in the 1880's. It underwent many alterations over the years, including cement plaster over the original Redwood Siding. Because it is now rental units, complete exterior renovation did not pencil out.
Our answer was ot replicate the original front porch as much as posible, but still meet todays codes. Also to reveal the original siding within the porch area.
1106 North Branciforte Ave. Santa Cruz
PHOTOGRAPH OF HOUSE IN 1902
You can get a glimpse of the original 1" x 10" Redwood channel siding, & the Post & Hand Rail Ornamentation
Original posts, porch, and railings were gone. Cheap replacements had been installed and had become rotten. Upper Ladder detail, & half posts at wall had been covered with Cement Plaster.
Fountain Base under construction
Fountain Completed in Side Yard of Victorian Complex
Fountain & Garden Design : Beth Ann LaBarba
BUTTERY CEILING BEFORE RESTORATION
RESTORING 100 YEAR OLD CEILING AT THE BUTTERY, 2004
DURING CONSTRUCTION circa 1880's
EXTERIOR SHOT OF THE BUTTERY BUILDING TODAY
AFTER IT'S 1940'S FACE LIFT.
The Corner windows were added replacing the original double hung sash. Redwood Channel Siding was covered with Cement Plaster.
This structure contained two store fronts, both owned-and-run cheifly by women. The corner shop was a dry goods store, first run by Mrs. Edna M. Evans, then Handsel H. Hicks in 1922, and Mrs. N. A. Trolanin 1928, until the East Side Auto Shop replaced it in 1948. Janet Peck became the dry goods store’s companion business when she moved her millinery hat store from across N. Brancifore Avenue ( where it started in 1914 at 247 Soquel Avenue ) to the Alfonso Building in 1915 or 16, where it stayed about 33 years until 1948. Both merchants also resided either at the back of their shop, or upstairs.
Courtesy of Local Historian: Ross Eric Gibson
This was an Historic Barn designed by Julia Morgan 1918. Located at 701 Highland ave, Santa Cruz
CONVERTING TO A RESIDENCE. '1988
Clear Span Created with Steel Beams
HISTORIC SOUTHERN PACIFIC DEPOT LOCATED IN SUNOL, CA. WAS BUILT ALONG THE TRANSCONTINENTAL ROUTE TO SAN FRANSICO IN THE 1880'S. THE DEPOT WAS RETIRED IN 1941, AND THEN SOLD TO A RANCHER WHO MOVED IT 1/2 MILE AWAY.
THE NILES CANYON RAILROAD MOVED THE BUILDING BACK
NEAR IT'S ORIGINAL POSITION TRACKSIDE. ALL THE RAFTERS ON ONE SIDE OF
THE FREIGHT SHED HAD BEEN CUT OFF.
BECAUSE OF OUR EXPERIANCE WITH HISTORIC BUILDINGS,
WE WERE ASKED TO REPLACE THE DAMAGED RAFTERS WITH ROUGH CUT MATERIAL
SALVAGED FROM AN OLD BUILDING IN ALAMEDA, CA.
THIS WAS NOT
ONLY A TRULY " GREEN " APPROCH TO THE RESORATION, BUT IT ALLOWED US TO
EXACTLY MATCH THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS WHICH HAD BEEN INSTALLED WITH SQUARE